Last Updated on October 28, 2020 by Terry Ohara
Water filtration systems are not considered as a type of luxury in the modern era, but instead, they can be considered as a valuable addition for every household mainly because of their ability to offer safe, contaminant-free water that is healthy and safe for consumption.
Countertop water filters are one of these filtration systems. These units are not only effective in their job, but they are also efficient, easy to install and do not require much in terms of maintenance and that’s the key reason for their popularity.
In addition, finding a proper countertop water filter may be a bit hard due to the fact that there are thousands available on the market, that’s why in this article we have listed the best of them in our opinion with the intention to prevent you from getting inappropriate filters that may cost you a fortune. Let’s take a look at the best countertop water filters of the year.
Our Top Picks For The Best Countertop Water Filters
5. Home Master TMJRF2
The Home Master TMJRF2 is one of the best 3-stage, countertop water filters on the market especially in this price range because this unit combines an attractive look, portability and quality performance that makes it suitable for a variety of households.
First of all, I’d like you to know that this unit is available in 2 color versions including the black version and the white version, but what’s great is that both of them look unique in their own way and share the same performance. Although, our pick was the white-version feel free to choose the one that suits your preferences the most.
In terms of dimensions, the TMJRF2 measures 12.3 x 9.4 x 7.6 inches, weighs around 4.25 pounds and features a space-saving construction which by default makes it compact enough to fit in a variety of faucets without occupying a large amount of space.
One of the greatest highlights regarding the Home Master TMJRF2 is the ability to offer a 3-stage filtration, so let’s briefly explain each of them.
- 1st stage: Is also known as the Activated Alumina whose job is to effectively reduce the presence of Fluoride and Arsenic that are commonly found in water.
- 2nd stage: This stage consists of a Coconut Shell Carbon, which ensures that chemical compounds including Chlorine, VOCs, Pesticides, and even Herbicides would be drastically reduced if not completely eliminated from your water.
- 3rd stage: Here, the 5-Micron Compression Disk comes into action along with the ability to remove sand and dust from your water, giving you an opportunity to taste the benefits of drinking water that may look and taste pretty good.
One of the best benefits you will have by getting the Home Master TMJRF2 would be its easy installation. To be more precise, the manufacturer offers an online installation video that is intuitive and clear enough to exclude you from the need of hiring professional plumbers and pay an additional amount of money.
According to the users, the installation process requires nothing more than a few minutes and when we add the fact that this unit comes with a sink faucet diverter valve, 15/16 x 13/16 faucet adapter, and a long-reach chrome faucet, it means that you will unlikely face any problems since the package contains everything you need in terms of installation.
This unit employs Advanced Multi-Stage Granular Filter which differs a lot from the thousands of filters available on the market. Namely, this filter packs compression disks to distribute the best possible and the most precise filtration which basically means that your water will be free from virtually any contaminant known for the human.
Another great thing about this counter-top water filter is the ability to deliver maximum Total Dissolved Solids of 2000 ppm, but what got my attention as well are the other specs. To be more precise, this model operates at temperatures that range from 40 – 100°F and offers a water pressure that stretches from 20 – 90 PSI, so when we combine all these things in one, without a doubt I can say that the manufacturer has done a really good job here.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
The Home Master TMJRF2 is indeed easy to maintain, since it is suggested that you should replace the filter after it has passed the threshold of 500 gallons which translates in 3 months of use. But we haven’t stopped here with our analysis, since we got Information from the market that users have paid approximately $80 annually in terms of maintenance. However, keep in mind that this may vary upon numerous factors, but either way, as you can see, this filter would not rip off your pocket.
- Simple To Install
- Space-Saving Design
- Reliable Performance
- May Not Be Adequate To Filter Extremely Polluted Waters
The Home Master TMJRF2 should be the right pick for you, especially if you’re looking for an affordable, yet quality countertop water filter that can effectively reduce up to 93% of Fluoride along with other contaminants.
4. New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Plus
The New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Plus would be a great option for you, especially if you want to invest in a countertop water filter that can drastically enhance the quality of your water by reducing thousands of common contaminants for a price that is affordable for numerous households.
This model sports a space-saving, all-white construction that measures 3 x 3 x 9.5 inches, with an approximate weight of 1 pound, and when we take a closer look at these specs, I can surely say that this countertop water filter is versatile enough to a variety of different faucets.
In addition, the New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Plus is engineered with quality and durable materials that promise long-life expectancy on one side, while on the other, thanks to its compact size, you won’t even notice its presence in your kitchen.
- 1st Stage: Is composed of a so-called 30-micron Filter Pad whose duty is to detect and prevent large particles such as Rust and Dust from being present in your tap water.
- 2nd Stage: this packs 8-ounces of KDF-55, which is a patented alloy that will keep chlorine as well as other heavy metals away from the tap water, but if we take this benefit aside, the KDF-55 will drastically improve the life expectancy of the filter itself which I particularly like.
- 3rd Stage: Is also known as the 10-micron Filter Pad and what’s great about it is that this stage is going to separate the layers with the intention to maintain their original performance. In addition, this stage is going to removing small floating solids as well and enhance water quality even more.
- 4rd Stage: This stage consists of an Activated Carbon which is made of a fine mesh coconut shell, and what’s special about this layer is that the Activated Carbon does effectively remove Mercury, Arsenic, Pesticides and Herbicides on one side, while on the other, guarantees pure water that lacks Chlorine, color and odor.
- 5th Stage: Is basically a 10-micron Filter Pad that eliminates fine sediment from entering and being present in your water.
- 6th Stage: Employs 3 oz. of Cation Exchange Resin whose purpose is to reduce lead that is commonly found in water, well, from now on, you will actually be free from such things.
- 7th Stage: This stage is not different from the others in terms of delivering a quality performance. Namely, here we can find a 30-micron Filter Pad which will additionally strengthen the filtration of water and output an extra buffer especially against any kind of floating sediment.
- 8th Stage: Features 5 oz of Ultra-Fine G.A.C. which functions similarly to Stage 4, but where it differs is the fact that this stage tries to reduce bad odor, color, Chlorine and Organic contaminants that the Stage 4 may have failed at removing.
- 9th Stage: Gathers 2 oz of Calcite with the intention to increase the Alkalinity of the water and rebalance the water’s pH to neutral. What does mean in practice is that this stage ensures that if a scenario happens where you have alkaline water, the presence of calcite will lower the pH.
- 10th Stage: Finally, a 1-micron Polishing Filter is there to serve as a reliable barrier against any type of organisms larger than 1 micron, and remove any kind of remaining floating particles with the intention to make your water be clear and of course, healthy to consume.
This unit is exceptionally easy for installation thanks to its space-saving design which makes it easy to be attached to your faucet while offering you an opportunity to change between filtered and tap water anytime you want to see a difference. Additionally, users have reported that they required less than 20 minutes in order to install this countertop water filter which is yet another proof that should convince you of getting this product.
This device can significantly improve the water’s quality due to the fact that it can eliminate virtually every kind of harmful compounds that are often found in waters. For instance, Organic Arsenic, Asbestos, PCBs, Solids and other contaminants will never cause you health issues.
I would also like to note that those who have purchased this product claim that the water is fresh to consume which is essential, since from now on, the filtered water is going to boost your energy throughout a typical day by keeping you hydrated and free from thousands of contaminants.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
The New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Plus when is used by a family of 4 for a year would cost approximately $50 annually, and when we add the fact that you won’t spend on bottled water again, it means that your costs will be drastically lowered.
- Meets The EPA’s Minimum Requirements
- Easy To Install
- Excellent Filtration
- Can’t Handle Rough Conditions
Overall, The New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Plus deserves your attention because it is affordable and it is capable enough to output a truly fascinating filtration!
3. Apex MR-1050
The Apex MR-1050 is among the most purchased countertop water filters on the market, and the main reason behind this is the fact that this unit merges a high-end performance with an extremely affordable price that makes it be an indeed one of a kind.
For your information, the Apex MR-1050 is available in multiple color editions including the so-called “Clear” edition which we are currently reviewing, Black, Green, Blue, Red, Chrome and White, where each of them performs mostly the same, so feel free to choose the one that you like the most.
In addition, this particular model measures 6 x 6 x 14 inches and weighs around 5 pounds, making it easy to install and compact enough to be compatible with a variety of different faucets.
- 1st Stage: Consists of a MicroFlet Pad, and what’s cool about this stage is that it removes Rust, Dust, Sand and other particles of this size with the intention to enrich the quality of your water.
- 2nd Stage: Is the 5-micron KDF Layer whose primary job is to control the number of microorganisms available in the water and vanish the presence of bacteria and heavy materials.
- 3rd Stage: Features a Granular Activate Carbon Layer that keeps care of your water in terms of removing odor and water taste from Chlorine, Chloramine and a variety of chemicals which is really cool, since the filtered water will be fresh and soft for consumption.
- 4th Stage: Is also known as the Alkaline Layer. This layer creates Magnesium and Potassium minerals which are essential for your water, due to the fact that these minerals do level-up the quality of the water by making it healthy for consumption.
- 5th Stage: Is composed of a Calcite-Layer which is meant to offer the water the right amount of Calcium that brings numerous health benefits along with increased metabolism rate.
As you can see, this filtration system basically does everything to make sure you have clean drinking water.
The Apex MR-1050 is delivered with an installation manual that is intuitive enough to let you understand it quickly and therefore, makes you able to install this unit quickly without wasting any time. To be more precise, all it takes is just a simple removal of the aerator screen from your faucet, and after you’ve done this, you should screw on the collar of the diverter valve.
Each filtering stage of Apex MR-1050 does wonders to your water. But what will also get your attention regarding its filtering capabilities is that this unit can also filter Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium which may cause water-borne illness. Well, once you get this product the chances that you will ever face such things will be set to a minimum if not 0.
Another great thing about this model is the ability to transform your tap water into advanced, purified water that will not show any signs of smell, odor, and taste which I absolutely favor, and maybe that’s one of the reasons why are users satisfied by it.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
For your information, the manufacturer suggests replacing the filter cartridge after every 750 gallons of water which translates in 6 months of use if it is used by an average family of four members.
On the downside, our analysis shows that you can expect spending around $90 which is slightly expensive, however, considering its tremendously good abilities, I really think that it worths giving it a try.
- Long-Lasting Filter
- Excellent For The Price
- Easy To Install
- Follows NSF and FDA Standards
- Alkaline Abilities
- 5 Stage Filtration System
- Slightly Expensive Replacement Filter Cost
I strongly recommend you consider the Apex MR-1050, due to the fact that this filter is reasonably priced and packs Alkaline capabilities which will offer you thousands of benefits that will boost your immune system and prevent you from being prone to illnesses. I personally loved the 5 stage filtration system that this filter has, and that’s why i highly recommend it.
2. Big Berkey BK4X2
The Big Berkey BK4X2 is specifically engineered to accommodate the needs of a variety of different households regardless of their size, whether it is small, medium or large, this countertop water filter simply shines in terms of its look and versatility.
From a design perspective, this countertop water filter sports a stainless steel construction which will guarantee you long years of use without noticing any noticeable difference in terms of its look and performance. In addition, the main components include a stainless steel upper and lower lid, spigot, as well as 2 Fluoride elements and 2 Berkey filters for which we will talk more in the following sections.
When it comes to the dimensions, this unit measures 8.5-inches in length by 21-inches in height when it is fully assembled which makes it a bit bigger in terms of its appearance in comparison with most of the countertop water filters that you can find on the market.
The Big Berkey BK4X2 is relatively easy in terms of installation because the package includes basically everything you need that would guarantee you an easy installation. Aside from the included spigot, the upper and lower lid as well as the 2 filters and Fluorite elements, you will be given specific instructions on how to assemble these things into one piece, so that you won’t have to hire plumbers to do this for you.
This model does wonders for your water in a variety of ways, so let’s give a brief explanation of its capabilities and what you can expect from having such a device in your household.
Firstly, it is important to note that the manufacturer rates each Fluoride filter at a lifespan of 1,000 gallons and claims that each purifier can filter up to 3,000 gallons of water which is awesome if you ask me.
Moreover, this unit can remove a whole chunk of Fluoride that is present in your water or up to 95% if you prefer the percentage way of explaining things.
But what got my attention the most regarding the performance is the ability of this countertop water filter to detect and remove a variety of unhealthy compounds such as lead and mercury while also ensuring that the levels of nitrates and nitrites will be set to the minimum.
In addition, this system has proven itself as a reliable defender of your water in terms of removing parasites, cysts and pathogenic bacteria which may be contained in your tap water, so for now, I’m unable to find any remarks, and I can easily say that it has an amazing filtration system.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
The Big Berkey BK4X2 requires a minimum cleansing process since all you have to do is to wash the filter from time to time in order to preserve and maintain its shiny look. I would also like to add that the stainless steel material is always a great addition because it is quality enough to withstand years of use, something that every one of us is keen on having.
In terms of cost-efficiency, since each of its purification elements has a lifespan of around 3,000 gallons or 6,000 in total, it means that you won’t have to replace them within a short period of time and spend additionally.
- Durable Filters
- Excellent Water Filtration
- Easy To Install
- Does Not Meet NSF&ANSI Criteria
With all of its good and bad sides, I’d strongly recommend the Big Berkey BK4X2, so make sure to check it out in order to assure yourself of its quality! The amazing filtration system makes this product deserve the number 2 spot as the best countertop water filter.
1. APEC RO-CTOP-C
The APEC RO-CTOP-C is one of the best, if not the best portable countertop Reverse-Osmosis water filter system and you may likely encountered this name numerous times on the Internet during your research. Well, there is not a need for doing research since we have already done it for you so let’s dive straight into action!
The APEC RO-CTOP-C features a lightweight- aluminum construction that is composed of long-lasting, high-capacity filters which will not only last longer, but they will also ensure proper water cleansing while eliminating every potential harmful substance from getting in your body.
Thanks to its unique design, you will never face problems in terms of transportation since you can easily store it into your RVs, homes and even college dorms, so without a doubt, the manufacturer deserves our applaud here.
- 1st Stage: At this stage Dust, Rust and similar particles are removed from your tap water.
- 2nd Stage: Ensures that the water is going to be free from Chlorine, colors and unwanted odors which by default means that you will drink healthy water that will keep you safe from diseases.
- 3rd Stage: Is also known as the Reverse-Osmosis Membrane and in my opinion, this stage is extremely useful because of a variety of reasons. To be more precise, at this stage, the Reverse-Osmosis Membrane removes up to 99% of the total dissolved solids (TDS) and makes sure that Arsenic, Chromium, Selenium, Radium, Fluoride, Lead, along with bacteria and viruses will not be present anymore for your ultimate user-experience.
- 4rd Stage: Here, the Carbon Filter furtherly enhances the quality of your water by removing any kind of residual water taste, hence, making the water easier and safer for consumption. Now you have drinking water.
Aside from being easy to store, this unit is easy to install as well due to the fact that it is compatible with most of the faucets on the market, giving you a huge specter of opportunities when it comes to installation. In addition, you will be given a precise, user-manual of which you can take advantage and make the installation time enjoyable and effective.
However, keep in mind that if your household has pull-out faucets or designer faucets, unfortunately, you won’t be able to install this unit, but with everything else, you won’t face any difficulties.
The APEC RO-CTOP-C works with a water pressure that ranges from 40 – 80 PSI and outputs an impressive amount of water that translates in 90 gallons per day. Another great thing about it is that it operates with a temperature that ranges from 0℉ to 100℉, and when we add the fact that the system is NSF-certified and it is BPA-free, it is not surprising why it is listed as a #1 option in this article.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
For your information, both the stage 1 and 2 filters would have to be changed in around 6 months depending on multiple factors including of the quality of your tap water and more. The stage 4 filter could last anywhere between 2-5 years of use, as well as the RO membrane, which means that you won’t have to invest in another system or filter for a really long period of time.
The APEC RO-CTOP-C is cost-efficient as well, considering the fact that produces 1 gallon of purified water per 2 gallons of wasted water, I can say that it belongs to the average expenditure. Definitely can be considered as one of the best countertop water filters out there.
- Removes Up to 99% Of Contaminants
- Highly Portable
- 90-gallons Of Purified Water Per Day
- Long-Lasting Filters
- Doesn’t Work With All Faucet-Types
If you’re looking for a portable water filter that can be considered as a life-time investment due to its amazing performance and quality construction, then the APEC RO-CTOP-C would be the ideal choice for you!
How to use a countertop water filter
Countertop water filters are extremely easy in terms of installation and use because they rarely require nothing more than a filter replacement after a certain time and a simple plug to your faucet in order to function properly.
Benefits of having countertop water filters
The benefits of countertop water filters can be instantly noticed once you get your favorite unit at home. These types of filters are specifically engineered to offer you, first of all, easy installation and of course, an excellent-purification.
The benefits include:
- Easy Maintenance: Countertop water filters are one of the easiest filters on the market due to the fact that all you have to do would be replacing the filter after a certain time.
- No Extra Tap Needed: This comes handly because you won’t have to create a hole in your kitchen sink in order to place the filter tap and prevent any undesirable damage to the kitchen itself.
- Cost-Efficiency: These types of filters are mostly inexpensive which by default means that you won’t have to invest thousands of dollars for obtaining purified water at your home.
- Health Benefits: Since the bacteria and a vast variety of harmful compounds are effectively remove, your health will be dramatically enhanced which is one of the reasons why are users purchasing these filters in the first place.
Types of Countertop water filters
Before making an actual purchase, I would like you to know that there are different kinds of countertop water filters including :
- Granular Activated Countertop Water filters – or simply GAC filters, are types of filters that can deliver an effective removal of sediments as small as 5-microns and ensuring that Giardia Cysts and Cryptosporidium will not be present in your water anymore.
- Alkaline Water filter – these types of filters do employ cartridges of tremendously good quality, and their main purpose is to eliminate any potential odor and color that the water could have.
- KDF Countertop Filters – are specifically engineered to eliminate the presence of heavy metals and Chlorine from taking their place in the water.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best countertop water filters?
Even though I’m not able to offer you a precise answer to this question, I can still give an answer that is as close as possible to your question. For instance, after doing an in-depth analysis, I’ve concluded that ones that are listed in this article are actually the best.
Are countertop water filters worth it?
Of course, they are, since every household needs a proper filtration system that can remove rust, sediments, heavy metals and microorganisms from reaching in your organism and causing harm.
Does it really matter what water you drink?
Yes, and that’s the fundamental reason why did people invent filtration systems in the first place. Not all water is drinking water. As a matter of fact, even though a distilled water is relatively safe for consumption, filtered water simply ensures that no type of harmful substance could ever do damage to your health. I would also recommend you read our other buying guides on different types of water filters such as Whole House Water Filters, Refrigerator water filters & Countertop water filters.
What Is Reverse Osmosis System?
The process of water purification is called reverse osmosis. The reverse osmosis process removes contaminants from the water, and it does that by using pressure. When pressure is applied to the water, the molecules go through a membrane, and that gives us clean drinking water. Most modern filters have a reverse osmosis system built-in. When you are shopping for a filter, make sure it has a reverse osmosis system. With it, you can turn well water, hard water & other non-drinkable water to clean water.