Last Updated on October 28, 2020 by Terry Ohara
Hygiene is essential for every human being because of various reasons, but the number one reason is of course – health.
In the past centuries, people did not have the luxury that our generation has, such as showering with purified water that will prevent a typical user from being a target of numerous microorganisms that are known to cause harm and other health issues.
Nowadays, more and more customers are purchasing different types of water filters for their faucets and fridges with the intention to prevent their skin from dryness, irritation and even life-threatening diseases.
In addition, let’s take the fact that most of our showerheads represent a home of sick-making bacteria which are prepared to fall along with the shower water.
According to Dr. Barbara Keber, MD, chair of family medicine at Northwell Health’s Glen Cove Hospital in New York “The concern about the showerhead is that it does what we call aerosolize, so it makes it in the air. We just breathe in the shower, and you would potentially be breathing in these organisms, and that’s how they would get into the lungs.”
But she is not the only one stating this, there are thousands of doctors and professionals who warn users of the potential health issues that may be caused by showering in showers that lack filters.
That’s why, in this article, we are going to list currently the best shower filters with the intention to help you avoid such scenarios and improve your overall health status.
Our Top Picks For The Best Shower Filters
5. Barclay’s Buys Filtered Showerhead
We are going to start our list with a great option that can be suitable for anyone. The Barclay’s Buys Filtered Showerhead would be an excellent choice for you, especially if you are tight on budget but would like to invest in a shower head filter that combines a well-engineered design with a reliable performance!
When it comes to the design, this particular model boasts a round, all-metal construction which makes this unit truly unique because there are thousands of showerhead filters on the market that are made of plastic and cost even more compared to this unit.
In terms of dimensions, Barclay’s Buys Filtered Showerhead measures 4.5 x 4.5 x 2.5-inches and weighs around 7 ounces, making it compact enough to fit most of your showers without any problems.
Barclay’s Buys Filtered Showerhead as I’ve stated previously is engineered to offer you an indeed easy installation, so let’s briefly explain the stages you should consider before and while you’re installing it.
According to the manufacturer, once you get the package, you should firstly start with removing the blue cap and make sure that the black rubber washer is precisely inserted into the ball joint. After you’re done with these two steps, you should screw the showerhead onto your personal shower arm, and that’s it, nothing more!
I would also like to inform you that this unit can serve only as wall-mounted, so you shouldn’t try to connect it to a hose.
Having a showerhead and a filter in one package means numerous benefits, and that’s the main reason why we have listed this product in this list. But, let’s see what you can expect from this device if you ever decide to purchase it.
Barclay’s Buys Filtered Showerhead can remove up to 90% of Chlorine in your tap water and it has proven itself as a reliable performer in terms of reducing dissolved solids as well which is something that I personally like.
In addition, the filter will not only preserve the quality of your skin, but it will also keep care of your health as a whole, mainly because of its ability to effectively remove a variety of toxins from entering your body and skin. To be more precise, if your skin is prone to getting irritated, this filtered showered will set the irritation to the minimum if not to 0, and prevent you from having rashes, or an itchy skin.
But that’s not all! The filter itself is composed of stones made of Calcium Sulfite. These stones will ensure that once the tap water which comes with high levels of Chlorine comes close to these stones, they will convert the Chlorine into a harmless Chloride, so as you can see, the benefits are numerous. It basically removes chlorine effortlessly.
Before we move to the next section, I would also like to note that this unit uses a so-called Laser Cut Micro-Hole Technology which means that when you start showering, the showerhead will deliver a proper spraying with a flow rate of 3-gallons per minute (GPM).
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
This showerhead filter is incredibly easy to maintain since the presence of Aluminum and the Stainless Steel makes everything easy in terms of maintenance, and of course, these materials will ensure long-years which every one of us is keen on having.
On the other hand, the included filter can offer 6-8 months of use, however, keep in mind that everything depends on the quality of the tap water itself, whether it contains huge amount of heavy metals and dissolved solids. But either way, for the price you pay these stats are pretty cool.
- Extremely Affordable
- Great For Hard Water
- Reliable Performance
- Long-Lasting Filter
- Attractive and Durable Design
- Requires Significant Efforts For A Filter Change
With all of its flaws and benefits, I’d highly recommend you taking this product into consideration, and if you ever decide to make an actual purchase, I’m sure that you will not be disappointed!
4. AquaBliss SF220
The AquaBliss SF220 is a high-output, universal shower filter that is currently among the most highly-rated products on the market, which definitely has to mean something. That’s why, let’s get straight into action and find out what’s the reason behind its success!
The SF220 measures 3.7 x 3.7 x 5.4-inches, weighs approximately 15.2 ounces and features an eye-catching yet solid construction that doesn’t require an effort at all in terms of installation, while on the other side, the materials used in the crafting process makes this unit capable enough to withstand everyday use in a long-term.
In addition, this model is compatible with all shower types including handheld, fixed, rain and combo showers which is pretty good, due to the fact that you won’t have to spend an additional amount of money for purchasing a brand-new showerhead.
One of the biggest highlights regarding the AquaBliss SF220 is the fact that the installation process is extremely smooth. To be more precise, if we take into consideration the fact that it doesn’t require specific tools on one hand, and its universality on the other, it is not a doubt why this is one of the key reasons why are users purchasing this product
- 1st Stage: Is actually a Sand Filter which does a pretty good job in capturing large sediments including Sand and Lime Scale.
- 2nd Stage: Consists of an Ultra-Fine Stainless Steel Mesh, whose job is to offer a great protection against medium-sized sediment from getting in the shower filter.
- 3rd Stage: Here, the Micro-Porous PP Cotton prevents and removes small particles such as Dust and Turpitudes, so all these three stages are working close to provide a prolific Sediment removal.
- 4th Stage: At this stage, a Calcium Sulfite comes into action which is focused towards reducing Chlorine in both hot and cold shower water.
- 5th Stage: This stage is composed of a so-called Redox Media, and what’s special about it is that it provides a high-level control of scale, and additionally offers ensures that Chlorine levels will be set to the minimum.
- 6th Stage: is also known as the Activated Carbon drastically lowers the levels of Trihalomethanes(THMs), Chlorine and a variety of different harmful substances that may cause health issues. For your information, this 3 stages are specifically engineered to offer you an Impurity removal for your ultimate user-experience.
- 7th Stage: Finally, the last stage employs a Micro-Porus PP Cotton whose primary job is to prevent the captured sediment from leaving the shower filter so that every time you take a shower, the water will be as healthy as the last time you’ve relaxing in the shower.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
The AquaBliss SF220 comes with a replaceable cartridge filter which is rated at 6-8 months of use (although this may vary, and to be honest, if we take into consideration this time frame it means that you will be excluded from the need of having to pay additional amount of money monthly on replacing the filter. I would also like to mention that the manufacturer recommends turning the internal filter cartridge monthly in order to prevent a sediment build-up and reducing the water flow.
The AquaBliss SF220 once you combine the stages that I’ve mentioned previously, can significantly improve the quality of the tap water, and by default prevents your skin from getting itchy or irritated. Namely, if you’re living in a city that is known for having a water of a low quality, this filter will ensure that any type of harmful compound is going to be effectively removed along with the notorious Chlorine smell.
- Improves Your Skin And Health
- Highly-Effective Performance
- Durable Construction
- Great For Hard Water
- Suitable For Hard-Waters
- Will Likely Lower The Height Of The Shower
You should definitely consider the AquaBliss SF220 as your next purchase, especially if you’re looking for a shower water filter that performs equally good with hard, cold and hot water!
3. Captain Eco Shower Filter
The Captain Eco Shower Filter is a quality shower filter that is actually what does bang for the buck means, due to the fact that this unit merges a quite durable construction and great performance for a price that is affordable for thousands of users on the market!
This unit sports a solid, chrome-plated ABS construction that does not only look good, but it is also durable enough to be rustproof, which by default means that you can use it for years without noticing a significant difference in terms of its look and performance.
Speaking of its dimensions, the Captain Eco Shower Filter measures 7.8 x 3.8 x 3.7-inches and weighs close to 1.35 pounds, so, if we take a closer look at its dimensions, I can easily say that this makes the unit be relatively suitable with a variety of different types of showerheads.
The Captain Eco Shower Filter comes with an included user-manual that is written in a simple and understandable manner, however, I will try to briefly explain each of its stages.
Once you open the package, you should start first by dismantling the showerhead, and you can do this by removing your showerhead. After you’re done, it is recommended that you should clea the filter in order to clean any remaining dust, but please note that hot shower water should be your choice instead of cold. The next stage is taking advantage of the Teflon tape with whom you can seal the necessary connections between the shower filter and the showerhead, and the final stage is changing the existing filter cartridge by dismantling the existing shower filter from the shower head. There isn’t a need for hiring professionals since these steps can be done by literally everyone.
- 1st Stage: Consists of a KDF-55 Process Media, which is basically a layer that combines Granulated Copper and Zinc alloys with the intention to offer effective removal of Chlorine and various water-soluble heavy metals while maintaining the number of bacteria and algae in both hot and cold waters.
- 2nd Stage: Is composed of a Calcium Sulphite, that ensures a close to perfect removal of Mercury, Cadmium, Aluminum and Chlorine from your shower water.
- 3rd Stage: is also known as the Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC), and what’s special about this stage is that here Trihalomethanes (THMs), Volatile Organic Chemicals ( VOCs), Chlorine, and even radioactive Iodine 131 are drastically reduced from the shower water which is awesome, since from now on, you can take a shower with a truly purified water.
- 4th Stage: At this stage, there are so-called Biocera Ceramic Balls whose primary job is to absorb a vast variety of harmful heavy metals and impurities with the intention to offer you increased metabolism and prevent you from numerous diseases that may be caused by unfiltered shower water.
- 5th Stage: The Polypropylene Cotton Filter plays a really important role during this stage. Namely, this filter makes sure that the presence of Rust, Sediment and a variety of microorganisms will never become a part of the water.
- 6th Stage: Finally, the Maifan Balls are going to drastically enhance the quality of the shower water by adding essential minerals.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
For your information, the Captain Eco Shower Filter comes with two cartridges and according to the manufacturer, each of them can offer reliable performance for 3 – 6 months which translates in filtering 5,000 to 10,000 gallons of water. This great in my opinion since during this period you will unlikely have to replace the filters and spend additionally.
On the other side, this unit does not require significant maintenance, but I’d recommend you seal the filter tightly in order to prevent leakage.
Having this product in your household means thousands of benefits. According to those who have already purchased this product, the Captain Eco Shower Filter does wonders to your shower water. To be more precise, this filter can drastically reduce the risks of dandruff, hair-loss, and dry skin, but le t’s not also forget that this unit can also soften your water.
Before we move to the next section, I would like to inform you that this shower filter may not filter Chlorine 100% which is fairly normal for its price cost, but either way, my intention is to deliver accurate and a trustworthy analysis to my audience.
- Heavy-Duty Shower Filter
- Reasonably Priced
- Good For Hard Water
- Versatile Performance
- Easy To Maintain
- Will Likely Reduce Water Pressure During The Filtering Process
The Captain Eco Shower Filter deserves your attention, because it is affordable and offers a great value for its cost!
2. AquaBliss SF100
The AquaBliss SF100 is currently among the best water filters that you can find on the market, and the reason is pretty simple, since this unit offers 12 filtering stages to ensure that both, your skin and health conditions will be drastically improved without spending thousands of dollars!
This particular model boasts a universal-fit construction that is made of top-grade materials which will guarantee you a long-term use on one side, while on the other, an option to easily install the filter with a variety of showerhead types including handheld, rain and fixed.
When it comes to the dimensions, the SF100 measures 7.72 x 3.82 x 3.7 -inches and weighs approximately 15.2 ounces, so once again, I can say that these dimensions make it compact enough to be truly universal.
For your information, the AquaBliss SF100 does requires a minimal amount of effort. To be more precise, all you would have to do would be to simply remove your old shower filter and replace it with this unit. As a matter of fact, there is a video tutorial available as well of which you can take advantage and do it by yourself for an even shorter period of time regardless if you haven’t done such things previously.
12-Stage Filtration Stages
- 1st Stage: Employs an Ultra-Fine Stainless Steel Mesh which is capable enough of capturing large sediments including Grit, Lime Scale and Sand and prevent them from finding their place in your water.
- 2nd Stage: This stage consists of a Micro-Porous PP Cotton, and what’s interesting about it is that this stage is focused on capturing medium-sized sediments and effectively blocking them from getting in your water.
- 3rd Stage: Here, a Calcium Sulfite ensures that Chlorine which can be found in both hot and cold water is going to be dramatically reduced if not totally.
- 4th Stage: At this stage, there is Redox Media whose job is to remove bad odors and additionally reduce the presence of the remaining Chlorine especially in hot water.
- 5th Stage: Is composed of an Activated Carbon which is surely a great addition if you ask me. Namely, the presence of Activated Carbon means that a vast variety of Impurities, Organic materials, Chlorine and even Trihalomethanes (THMs) will be set to the minimum if not to 0.
- 6th Stage: Is a home of the Far Infrared Balls. Well, their primary focus is to boost negative Ions and maintain the right oxygen levels in your water.
- 7th Stage: The Zeolite Ceramic Balls come into action with the intention to add the necessary revitalizing minerals that the water should have.
- 8th Stage: Consists of Ceramic Vitamin-C Balls that enrich the water with the right dose of Vitamin C along with other beneficial vitamins and minerals that are essential for your health.
- 9th Stage: Here, we can notice the presence of Tourmaline which is awesome if you ask me. To be even more specific, this stage will keep care of your hair in terms of maintaining its natural look and prevent you from hair loss.
- 10th Stage: Uses Magnetic Energy Balls which function in a similar way as the 9th Stage, however, where they differ is the fact that they are going to nourish your skin, nails and hair as much as possible.
- 11th Stage & 12th Stage: Are composed of Micro-Porous PP Cotton and Ultra-Fine Stainless Steel Mesh, but even though you’ve noticed this name in the 1st and the 2nd stage, these ones here are concentrated towards keeping the captured sediments from building in the filter and of course, leaking in your shower.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
The AquaBliss SF100 is said to be designed to last in between 10,000 – 12,000- gallons of water, which translates in 6 months of use depending on the quality of your shower water and of course, of the quantity of the family members.
In terms of maintenance, since we are talking about a product that is made of metal it means that within a few wipes after you’re done showering, you can clean it properly and maintain its original look for many years.
This particular model, thanks to its 12-Filtration Stages, can dramatically improve the quality of your shower water, due to the fact that the filter can effectively neutralize odors, enrich it with essentials minerals and make it be as natural as possible and free from numerous harmful substances and chemical compounds that often reside in the shower water. The health benefits are indeed many, starting from having a healthy hair, elegant yet natural-looking skin and all the way up to your nails.
- 12-Stage Filtration
- Long-Lasting Filters
- Extremely Easy Installation
- Universal Connection
- Does Not 100% Remove Chlorine
The AquaBliss SF100 would be a top option for you, because this shower filter has 12-filtration stages that will significantly enhance the quality of your shower water and make it free from thousands of different chemical compounds that are known for causing health-issues.
1. Aquasana AQ-4100
The Aquasana AQ-4100 is so far the best water filter that is currently available on the market in our honest opinion. After doing an in-depth analysis, we have concluded that this shower filter has everything needed that makes it be one of a kind, so let’s dive into action and explain why did we set it as a top option.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 features an all-white, up-flow filter construction that measures 8.5 x 7.2 x 3.2-inches and weighs only 2.3 pounds. Since I’ve mentioned the up-flow design, I would like to inform you that this type of design serves as a barrier against clogging, and media channeling on one side, while on the other, this speeds up the water contact time with the intention enhance the filtration as good as possible.
For your information, the AQ-4100 is available 4 editions, including the Shower Filter which we are currently reviewing, the Shower Filter & Wand, Shower Filter& Wand clothed in Chrome and Shower Filter- without a head, so feel free to choose any edition you want.
This particular model almost installs itself according to numerous users. Although you will be given a user-manual, I will try to explain the installation process under a minute.
All you would have to do firstly, would the removal of the two black plastic caps, once you’ve done this, try to remove the old head. After this, you have to wrap the threaded end of the pipe with a plumber’s tape, as a safe case scenario since by doing this you will prevent leaks.
The next step is flushing for at least 2 minutes. Some people start with cold water though. After you’re done, you would have to adjust to normal temperature and at the end, you can attach a massaging showerhead or wand if you prefer by tightening it only by your hands. That’s it.
- 1st Stage: The first stage includes a Coconut Shell Carbon which is focused on enhancing the taste and the smell of the tap water with the intention to make it as clean and natural as possible.
- 2nd Stage: Is composed of a KDF Copper/Zinc. During this stage, harsh materials such as Pesticides, Lead, Chlorine, Sulfides, and even Volatile Organic Compounds are effectively removed to ensure that the water will be mostly clear from such harmful compounds.
Maintenance and Cost-Efficiency
Thanks to its design and the presence of the knob that can be found on The Aquasana AQ-4100, all you would have to do in order to clear the debris would be taking advantage of the knob and turning it in order to clear any remaining debris.
When it comes to the filter efficiency, Aquisana rates it at 10,000 gallons (6 months of use) before you should replace it with another one, which is really cool in my opinion.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 has a flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute which makes it be relatively fast, but the biggest highlights regarding its performance is the fact that aside of its ability to remove Chlorine, Lead, Pesticides and other compounds, is the fact that the filtered water will moisturize your skin and make your hair be and appear healthy. Definitely one of the best shower filters out there.
- Easy To Install
- Consistent Water Flow
- Good for hard water
- Long-Lasting Filters
- Highly-Effective Chlorine Reduction
- Does Not Remove 100% of Chlorine
The Aquasana AQ-4100 is a must-have shower filter, so give it a try and assure yourself of its tremendously good quality and make your life healthy and simple!
5 Things You Should Know Before Buying Shower Filters
Finding the right shower filter for your household requires knowledge regarding the type of the shower water filter and the methods of installation.
Shower Filter Types
The first thing you should know is that there are two types of shower filters such as:
- Filtered Shower Heads – which have a built-in filtration system that often requires the user to substitute their existing showerhead.
- In-Line/Portable Shower Filters – a common type of shower filter that has to be installed in between the existing showerhead and the water supply line. They are also easy to install and require minimum effort.
Hard water has a lot of negative effects on your hair and the skin. Getting an appropriate shower filter in your household brings multiple benefits, including a softer skin that will not get irritated as before, enhanced overall health and reduces the chances of having a sore throat and respiratory difficulties.
Shower Filters Are Cost-Effective
One of the best things about shower water filters is the fact that they do not cost a fortune, and what you get in a return once you get them aside of the health benefits, is that they can last up to 6 months meaning that you will be freed from spending additional amount of money.
Shower Filters Are Essential For Our Daily Hygiene
As expected, shower filters can reduce the occurrences of Chlorine, hence, making your appearance more natural. In addition, our waters are prone to having Chlorine and similar chemical substances which bring truly catastrophic effects for our hygiene.
Purchase From Respected Brands
A shower water filter isn’t different from other products, and as is the case with numerous popular manufacturers regardless of their niche, there are shower filter brands that will somehow guarantee you that their product does its job perfectly good. Some of them are listed in this article.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does shower filter help hair loss?
Shower filters can offer reliable protection against unwanted chemicals that may cause hair loss. This doesn’t mean that they can save you from hair loss 100%, still, the fact that their job is to remove those chemicals that cause hair loss, it means that the chances that you will be safe are high. Basically, for the health of your hair and skin, getting a good shower head filter is a must.
Are shower filters effective?
Of course they are, although it depends on what you mean by effectiveness. If it means that your water will be 100% cleared from harmful substances then no. To be more precise, there isn’t such a thing that guarantees 100% removal, however, shower filters have proven themselves as trustworthy in terms of preventing you from exposing to hazardous substances.
How long do shower filters last?
Depending on the brand and the filter, an average time frame would be 3 to 6 months. Some can last longer, and some have a shorter lifespan. That’s why, if you have hard water on the area you live, getting a shower head filter that is resistant to hard water is necessary.
If for whatever reason you don’t want to get a shower filter, you can get a whole house water filtration system by reading our water filter buying guide here.