Last Updated on December 27, 2019 by Terry Ohara
If you have followed the recent news than you know that our planet is threatened to be polluted and damaged beyond repair. It is our biggest duty to start caring about our planet, by taking care of our environment and being efficient without energy and water. In the bathroom, we spend a lot of water, and if you follow my tips you can help the environment just by adopting some simple habits that will help the environment in the long run and will keep your water and electricity bills at check.
How to Conserve Water In The Bathroom
- One of the biggest improvements you can make is by changing your shower head to a low-flow showerhead because most of them have a water consumption of under 2.0 gallons per minute.
- If you take shorter showers you will also help save water, because in a ten-minute shower you will use about 20 gallons of water, and you will cut that in half, by shortening your time in the shower.
- While we don’t pay attention to this, one flush of the toilet uses about 3 to 5 gallons of water regularly. You can eliminate this by investing in a high-efficiency toilet to decrease the water consumption per flush to under 2 gallons in total.
- This may sound counterintuitive but hear me out, use a bar of soap instead of a shower gel for your body. This is because most of the shower gels produce more foam and as a result takes more water to rinse it off, you can eliminate this issue by switching to a soap.
- Make a habit of turning the water off while shaving and washing your teeth. This is very important because most of us are guilty of this sin and it is a total waste of water. Make sure to teach your children as well.
- Check for leaks, double-check and triple-check for them. You don’t want anything to leak in the bathroom as it will waste an enormous amount of water over time, and if you don’t notice them it will increase your risk of slipping and falling in the bathroom.
- If you see a faucet or a showerhead dripping immediately fix the issue, be it by tightening them tightly or by installing new ones, and teach your children as well to tighten the faucets.
- One of the most interesting ways you can conserve water is by installing a clever system that will collect the rainwater and utilize it for flushing the toilet, while this may cost a little more it will pay itself over time thanks to reduced water bills.
- A smart thermostat for your water heating system be it digital or analog, will do wonders, as you will avoid the water from getting too hot or too cold, which will result in water waste when you are trying to regulate it.
One of the biggest things you can do to help the planet is educating yourself and your family about the environment and waste, as our children will be hopefully better educated and more conscious about this issue, they will take more measures for saving the planet from us.